Last year I spent a few months doing research into the education technology space. I had heard something interesting – from this year, all Australian children as young as prep (5 years old) will start to be taught programming as a core subject at school. That means it is given as much importance in the school curriculum as other core subjects, like Mathematics and Science. This education in programming will continue all the way through to high school.

When I researched further, I found that the same was true of the UK and the US – programming is entering the core curriculum for all schools in these countries. Programming is seen as a skill that is essential for future employment for school leavers, regardless of industry.

Putting this into present-day context, it’s baffling to me that anyone working in the software development industry would consider programming as a skill that is NOT essential for their future employment. In just ten years, the first full graduates of this training system will be entering the workforce and they will all know basic programming. Ten years after that, it will be a skill in the workforce regarded as basic as Maths and Science.

So my stance on this issue is not opinion but earnest advice based on what I know. If software testers are interested in future-proofing their careers, they should learn how to code. If kids can do it, why can’t you?

Last year I spent a few months doing research into the education technology space. I had heard something interesting – from this year, all Australian children as young as prep (5 years old) will start to be taught programming as a core subject at school. That means it is given as much importance in the school curriculum as other core subjects, like Mathematics and Science. This education in programming will continue all the way through to high school. When I researched further, I found that the same was true of the UK and the US – programming is entering the core curriculum for all schools in these countries. Programming is seen as a skill that is essential for future employment for school leavers, regardless of industry. Putting this into present-day context, it’s baffling to me that anyone working in the software development industry would consider programming as a skill that is NOT essential for their future employment. In just ten years, the first full graduates of this training system will be entering the workforce and they will all know basic programming. Ten years after that, it will be a skill in the workforce regarded as basic as Maths and Science. So my stance on this issue is not opinion but earnest advice based on what I know. If software testers are interested in future-proofing their careers, they should learn how to code. If kids can do it, why can’t you?

views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft